It’s crazy to think that I will be 30 in less than a week.There are two times in my life that I remember thinking man 30 is old!
1. Being five years old and my younger sister was born and hearing my mom say I can’t believe I have three kids at 30.
2. My youngest sister being born when I was 14 and thinking to myself wow when my sister gets her license I will be…30 NO WAY!!
Little did I know that 30 really isn’t that old but to a child it seems like a life time away. In reality it comes in a blink of an eye. I have had MANY life changing things happen in my life that have made me the woman I am today. These experiences have given me life lessons that I hope to pass onto my son one day. Maybe you can relate to some. Here are my
30 lessons that I have learned in 30 years
1. People will have opinions of you. They are only opinions they don’t have to define who you are.
2. Love NEVER fails. You just have to be willing to put the work in.
3. Know you’re worth. Once you figure it out people will treat you accordingly.
4. It’s ok to have only a handful of close friends, Life is not a popularity contest.
5. Some people are meant to be in you life forever others are just short time passengers in this journey called life and that’s ok.
6. Having tact can get you very far in life. Speak to people the way you want to be spoken to.
7. It’s ok to have standards and you are not judging others if you don’t want to participate in anything that’s below those standards that you’ve set for yourself.
8. If you have a gut feeling about something. LISTEN TO IT!
9. You don’t have to “train” a man to respect you,open doors for you,pull out a chair or treat you like a lady. There are still men out there that are made that way
10. Change is a good thing, it’s ok to learn from your past, but if that is all you talk about its time to analyze why you’re stuck in the past and missing out on your future.
11. Your hair doesn’t define you
12. Stop comparing yourself with others. You don’t really know what struggles a person has gone through. Focus on your goals and you’ll get there.
13. Learn how to tell people off with a smile.
14. It always seems impossible until it’s done. The word itself says I’m possible.
15. It’s ok to act like a child sometimes. Go to a park,have a water balloon fight, jump rope,play tag,dance like no ones watching.
16. Never settle for less than your best
17. Learn to keep some things private. In this day and age of share everything; it’s nice to have some mystery.
18. If you don’t stand for something you’ll fall for anything.
19. Laughter IS and always will be the best medicine.
20. When it’s time to marry make sure he is your best friend and that god is part of that three fold cord. No one should be able to break it (even you)
21. Cherish your grandparents. They have so much wisdom to give us. (I lost my grandmother at 17 and I miss her everyday)
22. Whether you are single,in a relationship or married. It’s important to be happy with yourself before you try to be happy with anyone else.
23. There is no need to argue with an idiot. They will win every time and beat you with experience.
24. Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy. The truth will eventually come out.
25. You find out who you true friends are when you go through life changing experiences.
26. Don’t hold a grudge. When you forgive it brings you happiness.
27. It’s ok to call it a night at 9:00 Pm. Just go home, who cares if people call you old at least you’ll be well rested and not have bags under you eyes lol
28. Be willing to try things new at least once you never know what you’re missing.
29. Go on an amazing vacation. Doesn’t matter where but turn off your phone and just enjoy being in the NOW
30. Continue to challenge yourself and learn as much as you can.You will never know everything in life.
You know the rest of the song, I know you are singing it in your head right now.( Especially if you are an Aaliyah and Timbaland fan) It has been a very long time since I have written a blog and it’s because I have been very busy creating a life
The last post that I had written was a look back at 2012 and how my husband and I had wanted to start a family and how very difficult it had been for us. We were actually supposed to start infertility treatments three days after I wrote the blog post on Jan 1st. Little did I know that I was already 4 weeks pregnant at the time. So imagine our shock when we had been trying for over 2 years to start a family only to be told that we wouldn’t be able to without modern medicine and we conceived on our own.
I am now 15 weeks and there have been ups and downs. I have been so scared that I would lose this precious gift but I have been diagnosed with Hyperemesis gravidarum which is a s a condition characterized by severe nausea, vomiting, weight loss, and electrolyte disturbance. I have lost 20 pounds in my 1st trimester and have been put on Zofran which is a life saver but I still have to deal with the occasional “Morning sickness” even though it’s a little difficult I like to look on the bright side and at least I know that this baby is still there and causing me trouble already
Every appointment this baby is jumping all over the place so he/she is VERY active and we have to chase after it to hear the heartbeat. My husband and I have nicknamed the baby “Kember” ( a mix of our names) we find out what it will be in about a week and a half and can’t wait. To say that we are overjoyed is an understatement. We know how it feels for couples who desperately want to have a child and it seems like it’s not in the cards for them. I have no idea how this blessing happened to us without the use of infertility drugs but I feel so blessed that it has.
Infertility is something that plagues a lot of people and yet it is so taboo and no one likes to talk about it. You’re not broken if you are plagued by this disease. Talking about it really helps you deal with it and makes you realize you are not alone. last year I wrote a poem to my unborn child and I would like to share it with you my readers. Before I do I just wanted to thank you all for the prayers and support that we have received. I also want you to know that I will be back with hair tutorials as soon as I get some more energy because real talk. I’ve been wearing puffs and protective styles
A letter To my unborn child
I’ve always been a kind of overachiever
The one that could always past a test
But for the past two years I can’t seem to past the one that would Change my life for the best
I know that I would be a great mother
A great balance between a teacher and friend
I even dream of the day you would get a sister or brother
But this waiting and waiting never seems to end.
I pray everyday that I get the patience to wait
I pray that your healthy,funny and smart
I wish is was as easy as looking at a calendar and picking a date.
So I could just have a visual that I can look at and count down when my family would start.
But instead I get to look at other peoples excitement of their expanding brood
And everyday I imagine how you will look
Will you act calm like your dad or like me a complete fool?
Maybe you’ll love music or sitting in a corner reading a book
To me it doesn’t matter what you will be
I just hope and pray that you will find your way to me
The year is 2013 and we STILL aren’t living like the Jetsons! The 10yr old me thought we would be in Flying cars by now.
Even though we aren’t there yet, I still can’t believe we are in 2013! This year I have a lot to look forward to.
2012 had many ups and downs: I celebrated my 7yr wedding anniversary with my best friend, I watched a great friend graduate from college and move to NYC, I saw close friends become first time parents, we finally took a vacation after four years, I became a house wife, We decided to try to have a family, Found out that I have problems with infertility but my head is high and I know that we will make it through the ups and downs that 2013 has to offer us.
My husband and I will be 30 this year and I think it’s a perfect time to start a family. I know we have a long road ahead of us but hey, it’s 2013 there are so many medical advances and I know we were meant to be parents. I have a feeling we will be, 2013 will be our year. I hope everyone has a great year. Here are some highlights of my favorite times this year.
“Your success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties.”~Helen Keller
When I was packing for vacation I knew that I had to bring two dresses for the formal nights that would be on the ship. I knew right away that I wanted to look like I stepped out of the 1930′s or 40′s one of those nights. I didn’t want to dress up in a costume but I wanted to look classic and merge that time period with that of today. I also wanted to merge the simple yet elegant looks of two beautiful women of history. Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald
So I was on the lookout for makeup that was classic and of course my outfit had to be simple AND comfortable as well as stunning. I decided that I would look at one of my FAVORITE retailers for a dress. Dorothy Perkins didn’t let me down. I was able to find a wonderful simple black short dress with a classic neckline that I could dress up with some costume jewelry I purchased from ebay. Of course you have to think about your shoes and bag as well. The shoes I wanted to be flat(like I said comfort was the key) and I purchased those from Target. The bag I bought from JustFab and they have an AMAZING line of handbags you should definitely check them out.
Make up and hair was the next thing to tackle. I LOVE false lases but my husband is not a fan so I decided that I would wear my own but I wanted a little help so I used maybelline falsies. That mascara is one of my FAVORITES right now. I get to have the long lashes I want and my husband is happy that they are not false. The foundation was Makeup forever HD (because I knew we would be taking a lot of pics) The lips were a no-brainer I was going with moulin rouge makeup forever. The eyes I went for a simple smokey eye with silvers and blacks.
Your hair is your crown and glory and I didn’t want to flop on the look I was going for. I decided to twist my Senegalese twist in a very vintage updo and add a flower on the side to finish off the look. I had such a blast on formal night and I felt like a movie star. It’s so crazy how a little makeup and a new outfit will put a little pep in your step.
My husband and I decided we wanted to end the year with a BANG! so Dec 16-22 we were on a fabulous cruise to the Caribbean(Yes we survived the “end of the world” at sea) Our stops were Grand Caymen, Caymen Islands, Ocho Rios, Jamaica and Labadee, Haiti(An Island that is owned by Royal Caribbean International)
We didn’t have a knife and hey we were on vacation so you throw all rules out the window and take a relaxed view at things by the time we were done with this cake it looked like this.
After(it was yummy)
The cruise was 6 fun filled days and the adventures that we had will last us a life time, between meeting RAD DAN ( A CRAZY man on the boat who we thought had been locked into boat jail because we didn’t see him for three full days), My husband getting hit on by a 90 yr old women (who we named Delores) and she shimmied over to him in the elevator using her walker so we of course had to create a dance and call it the Delores
Kevin doing the “Delores” in Ocho Rios, Jamaica
The breathtaking views of Jamaica and our crazy driver Cool Johnny who drove us all around and Labadee the view from the cabana that we rented was just BREATHTAKING and looked like it was unreal. if you are looking for a vacation to take I highly recommend a cruise its so worth it. You can eat at any time of the day they have amazing food. great service and you can see the beauty and indulge yourself in the many cultures that you meet not only on the boat(Royal Caribbean has workers from over 90 countries) but also speaking with all of the people from the areas you visit. I am def ready for my next cruise! who’s coming with me?
You can’t go to Jamaica and not drink a red stripe
Our Crazy Cab driver “Cool” Johnny
The ladies for formal night
View from our Cabana in Labadee, Haiti