I find that I enjoy simple play time with my son. Usually I am just in the moment. However, today I wanted to capture his silly side. I know that he won’t be this young forever and I will always cherish these precious moments. Now I have something to look back on and enjoy as he grows older.
If you are a mom you’ve been there. Your friend has a child and for a split second while you cuddle that adorable baby you want one. You also make a mental list of things you’re not going to do when when your friend vents to you about the struggles she having.
I’m not ashamed to admit it, I’ve don’t it. We all say that we want to live in a judgment free world but we are imperfect therefore we all judge. I’ve just learned to keep my thoughts to myself.
My son will soon be 1(that I can’t believe in itself) but I have been thinking about the things I swore I would NEVER do when I have a child and I can’t help but laugh at myself now lol. Here are a few things
This one I swore would never happen. There are parents that stick to this rule and keep their bed and even bedroom off limits. There are many ways to cosleep, you can have baby in the bed with you or have a co sleeper attached to the bed. Putting a crib in your room is even considered co sleeping. That first week I started with baby in a co sleeper next to the bed and slowly but surely he made his way INTO our bed. There are times when I would like to just share with my husband but the benefits are what made us decided to bed share.When baby and mom SAFELY cosleep together it can cut down on SIDS. My husband and I are not heavy drinkers(even when we drink socially we know our limit and stick with that) we don’t take medications for sleeping or pain so we would be alert. Around the world families share a bed with their child for at least a year. I have found that it helps keep the breastfeeding relationship going , all you have to do is roll over and pop in a boob lol. Here are some of the benefits of cosleeping.
2. Breastfeeding a baby with teeth
I’m not going to lie this frightened me more than the thought of giving birth! I was adamant not to breastfeed when baby had teeth. I did research and found that many babies would get them 10-18 months on average. So I was sure I could make it to my goal of one year of breastfeeding. Of course my son got TWO teeth at 5 months. I knew the benefits of breast-milk outweighed the temporary pain of him figuring out how to use those teeth. Here we are 10 months 8 teeth into our breastfeeding journey and my goal is to make it to at least two years. Who knows we may go past two years it all depends on how comfortable my son and I are. This leads to my number 3
3. Extended breastfeeding
My mother breastfed my youngest sister until five and as a teen I felt embarrassed but I should have supported my mother. Breastfeeding is the most natural thing. It cuts down on baby being sick and is the easy on their digestive system. This is not a knock on formula feeding moms. Sometimes you have to formula feed OR you just want to and that’s your choice. You however can’t argue with the fact that breast-milk is made for baby and formula is trying to get as close as possible to the nutrients that are found in breastmilk. Also the AAP advised that babies should breastfeed for at least 2yrs(around the world the norm is 4) I will continue my breastfeeding relationship for as long as my son wants and of people have a problem then I say wear a cover over yourself so you can’t see
4. Sing along to little kid songs and play them in the car
YES I have become one of those parents but hey I’d rather sing a few bars of Old McDonald to calm my son down in the car then stop and get him out and then try to get on the road again. I don’t know why Old McDonald calms him down but I will woof woof here and a woof woof there all day lol. And some of those songs are really catchy (if all of the rain drops were lemon drops and gum drops oh what a rain that would be…BEST SONG EVER)
5. Join a baby gym
Why would a baby need a gym? Ok they don’t but when you are a stay at home mom and most of your friends work you NEED some adult conversation. A baby gym is a great place to meet other moms and burn off that energy that your baby has we have been apart of a baby gym since my son was 4 months and he actually smiles once we go up the stairs and he sees the door to the gym. He knows it’s fun time
That is just a few things I said I wouldn’t do. How about you? Are there things you said you would never do and changed your mind? Are you childless and know what you don’t want to do? Comment below I would love to hear your thoughts
Remember we are all individuals. No one will raise their child the same but we all love them with our whole being and that is what is important
I know I’m not alone in the anticipation that was built up after hearing girl meets world was actually being made
25-30 somethings everywhere were onboard once we heard our beloved characters Corey and Topanga Matthews were onboard (played by very talented Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel) I could feel the nostalgia running through my veins
I felt like a child again. I was brought back to the time in my life when I thought the boy sitting behind me in school was cute, the embarrassment of going to a school your parent worked at lol and overall feeling of trying to figure out who you are at that age.
Girl meets world premiered on the Disney channel last night and there are similarities between BMW(hey if it ain’t broke) Of course many of us who were fans of the original show wanted to see more of the original cast but this show is from Riley’s perspective. The show opens with Riley and her best friend Maya thinking of sneaking out to catch the subway to go to school(show us set in NYC) and of course Cory is there to stop them from sneaking out and explains that this is his daughters world and she needs to discover it.
I think the show did a great job with mixing the old and the new. I also like that the show pays homage to the way the old characters were written. Maya is the troubled best friend( Shawn hunter) who acts out but you know there is a deeper reason then trying to be the cool kid(the scene where she tells Cory she doesn’t have anyone at home to help her with homework after getting in trouble for not doing it) Riley is just like her dad in the way that she loves her best friend and wants to save her. I got a little misty eyed at the end when Mr. Feeny himself made an appearance. It was like seeing the baton passed from one great teacher to the next. Cory you’ll be GREAT
Many people were saying the pilot was cheesy. And I say HAVE SEVERAL SEATS!
Do you not remember how cheesy BMW was? It was 1993 after all and laugh tracks were on everything. Was the character Farkle aka “Minkus” a little overboard? (We found out he is actually Minkus’ son!) Maybe, but this show is meant to appeal to children. Riley is a tween who is trying to discover herself, finding out the boundaries between respecting your parents and exerting your opinion on things. I’m sure when I was growing up my mom was not a fan of BMW but the lessons taught at the end made for great conversation starters.
Girl meets world has all the appeal for a new generation with a sprinkle of nostalgia for the older generation. A feel good show that parents and children can sit down together and laugh for 20 min. There isn’t a lot of wholesome television on and this comes with life lessons written in for family to discuss
The first episode was about being true to yourself and not being influenced by others(that includes your best friend) what a great lesson for kids to learn.
Girl meets world is finding it’s stride just like all new shows and I hope that they continue to grow their audience.
I know I will be watching
As a natural girl I am always on the lookout for great wraps that I can use for protective styles that are stylish and different. Look nor further than The Wrap life! I have seen a few vloggers and bloggers wear these wraps in their pictures and in videos and I wondered if the would live up to the hype. I purchased two wraps that were in the spring collection.
Of course I opened them right up and started to play around and style them. What I love about these wraps are the vibrant colors and patterns that they have. These are cotton wraps and so easy to use. If you are wondering how you should style them the wrap life has a few tutorials(Wrap School) on their website to show you a few ways to rock your new wrap
What are you waiting for? Get out there and Wrap
(The Wrap life did not provide these wraps, I purchased these myself and the views are all mine)
As a new parent you are always asking people what do I REALLY need for this baby. I have made a top ten list (and one extra because I couldn’t live without it) These have really helped me , i dont know what i would have done without these. Below I will explain why I chose these items and I hope that these help you out as well.
1.Sakura bloom and Tula baby carriers: I own both of these brands. These allow you to be HANDS FREE which is a life saver when dealing with a newborn all the way up to a toddler. Baby teething? grab the carrier. Baby clingy? grab the carrier. Going to a place where having a stroller would be a pain? grab the carrier. I have used these two items the most since having my son. I’ve used them everywhere, the beach, store,movie theater(yes we’ve seen a movie with our baby he did very well in his carrier),museums, amusement parks you name it I’ve probably carried him. Sakura bloom weight limit is up to 35lbs and Tula weight limit is up to 45lbs so I will have these until my son is a toddler. Price for Tula are $149 for standard and $169 for toddler(once child can fit into 2T clothes that is the recommended time to switch to a toddler Tula) Sakura bloom prices go from $88-$160 for linen and $180-$200+ for silk. The prices are on the high end of the baby carrier market but you want to invest in a GREAT carrier. It’s important to make sure that it’s ergonomically correct so you don’t change baby developing hip dysplasia. You also want to make sure that its comfortable for both you and baby( I have carried my son in both for extended periods of time, up to 6 hours) These are both also great to breastfeed in when you are on the go.
2. My Breast Friend: Once you get past the name this is an AMAZING product. This has support for your back when you are breastfeeding, it clips around you so you don’t have to worry about it falling off of you, or moving out of the perfect spot. There is a pocket on the front that is quite large to keep some necessities when you are nursing. I had to feed baby in football position for the first few months and using this pillow was a lifesaver. I traveled with it everywhere. They even make one for twins!
3. Nose Frida: Now before I had a kid (even right after i had one) I would tell everyone I would NEVER use this product. My tune changed when I had a congested baby thanks to teething. The nose sucker ball(that everyone uses) was just NOT doing it’s job(also have you seen one of those cut open? DISGUSTING) I remembered I had a nose frida and used it. BIG DIFFERENCE, my baby could breathe and it was easy to use. There is a filter so you don’t have to worry about anything and this is very easy to clean so you can use it again.
4. Lansinoh gel nursing pads and nipple cream: EVERYONE SHOULD GET THESE! even if you are not thinking about nursing get the ge; pads. when your milk comes in, that is PAINFUL and these gel pads can be frozen or put in the microwave for hot or cold compress. If you are going to nurse, nipple cream is a must. You can purchase both of these at your local target.
5. Ju Ju Be B.F.F: This is the diaper bag of ALL diaper bags. I can’t say anything bad about this. I went through three bags before settling on this one. it opens in the front so you don’t have to dig through your bag. The inside of the bag is colored so it’s not a black hole, you can see where everything is. There is a “mommy pocket” in the front so you can keep all your essentials. They have very cute prints as well. This bag can me worn with a messenger strap or as a backpack. perfect for the mom on the go. This is also roomy, I cloth diaper and I have more than enough room. you can check out YouTube for packing videos as well to see how roomy they are.
6. Safety 1st Onboard air 35: Car seats are something every new parent does research on. We decided not to get the convertible seat right away(a lot of them accommodate newborns 6lb and up all the way to booster) I wanted to be able to have the ability to take my son out of the car still in his car seat if her fell asleep. We purchased this car seat and it’s great. It can fit a infant from 4-35lbs and up to 32″ (One of the best I have found for an infant seat) Even though its larger than most infant seats it can still fit in a small car, I own a Nissan Cube and it fit fine. The car seat is very comfortable(Air Protect™, Side Impact Protection, Advanced air cushion system) and my son has never been unhappy in his seat. He is always asleep as soon as the car takes off.
7. Sophie the Giraffe: This is great for little hands, baby has so many options to chew on. Her face is great for when front teeth are coming in and the legs are great to get to the back ones. Sophie has been around for years(since 1961) it’s made of 100% natural rubber and food paint which can fade. This is my sons number one choice in teethers. Believe me when I say that I have bought NUMEROUS ones, I didn’t believe in the hype of a $20 teethers. Well now I do! my son and I are much happier with Sophie in the diaper bag.
8. Coconut Oil : This is a STAPLE. great for diaper rash, cuts,nipple cream, lotion, hair, cooking. you can’t go wrong with coconut oil.
9. Foam Matt play area: I have tile in our apartment so this is a lifesaver for my nerves(well that was up until he could crawl) but even if you have carpet it’s nice to designate a area for baby to play. This particular mat pictured is 36 large pieces. I purchased from toys r us on sale for $14.99 (original price $29.99)
10. Shea Moisture Baby Head to Toe wash and Lotion: This brand is all natural and one of my favorites for myself. Their baby line is calming and my son loves this during bath time as well. You can purchase this at Target. A little goes a long way, I still have over half of the lotion left and JUST bought a new head to toe wash in 9 months.
11. Fisher-Price Kick ‘n Play Piano Gym: This toy goes from 0-18 months. it was great to use when my son was not mobile and he loved to kick the piano and play with the toys. Now that he is mobile and can sit on his own he still loves to play the piano, you can flip the piano up so that your child can play with it while sitting. you can also detach the piano and it can be taken with you when toddlers want to play on the go